Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Library 2.0

I thought all of the library 2.0 articles were thought provoking. The first two stuck with me the most.

I agree we need to tailor our user education to patrons; we can't expect them to conform to us for the most part. We still need to educate them about how to find things in our library but the "look and feel" does need to be more 2.0-ish. I think the new upload of the Cruzcat catalog does this.

Perhaps I'm becoming an old fogey but all I could think about in the first articles is "What happens when the power goes out?". Sure, disregard print material and focus on digital but remember, it won't do you any good when the power goes out. Think it can't happen? One good heat wave, fire or earthquake and we're down for a while. Whatcha gonna read then?

What does Library 2.0 mean to me? It means streamlining and making finding information simple. It also means customization so if you are a novice user it is still easy to find things and if you are an advanced user you can find even more.

No comments: